Friday, May 15, 2009

BBC Robin Hood Character Costume Study Season 1 Part 7- Little John

Little John Costume Study
Robin Hood Season One
Little John, played by Gordon Kennedy, is known for his strength and stature. Everything about his costume makes him look strong and tough.


Undershirt/Vest:
Little John's undershirt looks as though it could be made of knit. Almost like a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off. :)




Shirt:
He wears a basic tunic shirt like most of the gang.

Waistcoat/Jerkin:
Little John's jerkin is made of sturdy fabric and has silver studs along the neck and front opening:
The front is clasped together with chain links:
I can't tell what fabric it's made of:

Leather Coat
The costume designer said she found a leather for Little John's coat that looks like the bark of a tree.
Padded strips on the shoulders and along the neck and down the front with silver studs give him an extra tough look:

Padding is the same at the sleeves:
Here you can see the padding is also along the hem:

Back:
Hood
Little John wears a couple of hoods. The first looks as though it could be made of wool:

It fits like an ordinary cape, fastening at the throat with a tie:

The second looks like it's also made of wool but it connects under the chin, the hood is a circular piece, fits like a pullover hoodie/poncho:


Accessories
Leather flask:
Pouch and belts and gloves:

That's it for Little John. :) I think the pictures explain a lot for themselves. There's so much detail in his costume, it's hard to describe. But I think it's pretty awesome. I love his leather pouch. I want to make some leather pouches one of these days when I get my hands on some leather.

1 comment:

  1. "I think you'll find that's not fully cooked!"
    Hee hee!
    Great job Anna! Little John is so cool!
    ~Marguerite

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

Although I continually talk about movie costumes on this blog, I am not a movie reviewer. Not all the films I discuss are recommended and I do not choose to review weather they are appropriate or not for the simple fact that every person's standards are different. Something that is fine for me may be offensive to some one else and visa versa. If you would like to look into the appropriateness of a title, I recommend pluggedinonline.com. I have not seen all the movies I discuss, and am simply interested in the art of clothes in film. I will leave you to decide for yourself if you will watch the movie or not.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin