Thursday, March 12, 2009

Costume Sketches

Every great costume designer, after researching the era and character their designing for, starts with a sketch.

I love keeping a small idea book full of sketches that I later will end up using in my concept sketches. It's nice to have a small sketch book that can fit in your hand bag but there have been times I scribbled on any old thing just to remember the idea until I got home. :)

Here are a few Costume/Fashion sketches that I love:
Fashion Sketch by Kat Macleod:

Costume Design by Deborah L. Scott for the film 'Titanic':
Fashion Sketch by Laura Laine:
Costume Design by Catherine Martin for the film 'Australia'


Costume Design by Jacqueline Durran for the film 'Atonement':
It's interesting to see different people's styles and mediums. I love trying different techiques.

Some of my favorite Art supplies:
-Pencils: Derwent and Prismacolor
-Watercolors: nothing special, bought at Trago Mills in Falmouth, UK
-Rubber kneaded eraser (these are the best!)
-Pencil Sharpener
-Pencil Case made by Genevieve of Pretty Wit

My stack of sketchbooks:

These are just a few of my sketchboooks. I have so many! But I think that's a good thing? ;)

From top to bottom:

-Spiral bound sketchbook (not sure where it's from, reject of Matt Parker photography I love being at the Parker house when they clean out their closets!)
-Hardbound square Sketchbook by Winsor and Newton (bought in Truro, England)
-Moleskine softcover notebook. (the thin ones that come in a 3-pack)
-Leather Bound Sketchbook from Barnes and Noble
Want to turn your scribbles and ideas into art? Check out this amazing book:

Are you inspired yet? :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I am inspired! I don't really like to sketch, but it sure is sounding fun right now while I am bogged down in all these term papers. :)

    I will call you next week about getting together over spring break. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I am inspired! Too bad I have to go to bed now. :(

    Love you! Can't wait to see you.

    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am inspired. I'm going to pull out my sketchbook right now. Lately I've been spending more time blogging than sketching. Thanks for getting me back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspired... yes
    The drawing part i can do :)
    It's the sewing part!
    I'm hoping i'll get better at it
    I'm only 12 now

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

Although I continually talk about movie costumes on this blog, I am not a movie reviewer. Not all the films I discuss are recommended and I do not choose to review weather they are appropriate or not for the simple fact that every person's standards are different. Something that is fine for me may be offensive to some one else and visa versa. If you would like to look into the appropriateness of a title, I recommend pluggedinonline.com. I have not seen all the movies I discuss, and am simply interested in the art of clothes in film. I will leave you to decide for yourself if you will watch the movie or not.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin