Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Noteworthy Underpinnings

(above corset & shift from the film "The Patriot")
I can't explain why I have so much interest in underpinnings. I just love chemise/shifts, corsets, panniers, hoops, etc. It may have something to do with underpinnings being the core of the costume. They define your shape and give you that feeling of what the women from that era felt like. So often in films the costume designers make sure that every single person is dressed right down to the stockings in accurate clothing, even extras, because it gives each person a sense of who they are portraying.

Here are a few of my favorite finds over time.

18th Century

(above photo from the film "Marie Antionette")

I love this 18th century shift in this Simplicity pattern. It reminds me of one that Kirsten Dunst wore in Marie Antoinette

(above photo of the stays worn by Keira Knightley in the film "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl")

Butterick Patterns has a lovely 18th Century underpinnings pattern. This one has the option of laces up the front or not. I'm using this pattern right now for my Elizabeth Swann corset and I'm liking it so far! :)


(above photo from the film "Pride and Prejudice")


Past Patterns has a new pattern I can't wait to try. Check out these Transitional Stays.

19th Century
I love this beautiful embroidered corset from the film "Gangs of New York".

(above corset worn by Cameron Diaz in the film "Gangs of New York")

I've heard wonderful reviews of the Silverado Corset from Laughing Moon Mercantile. It's on my "To Buy" list. :) Katherine made a beautiful corset from this pattern HERE.

*sigh* Now I'm inspired. Maybe I shall work on my Elizabeth Swann corset! :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, the lacing on the Elizabeth Swan corset is amazing! I have never noticed it before. Now I understand why you wanted a lot more eyelets in your corset. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with underpinnings too!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you know I know what you mean since we always talk about it. =]
    I love underpinnings too!
    ~Margie

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer:

Although I continually talk about movie costumes on this blog, I am not a movie reviewer. Not all the films I discuss are recommended and I do not choose to review weather they are appropriate or not for the simple fact that every person's standards are different. Something that is fine for me may be offensive to some one else and visa versa. If you would like to look into the appropriateness of a title, I recommend pluggedinonline.com. I have not seen all the movies I discuss, and am simply interested in the art of clothes in film. I will leave you to decide for yourself if you will watch the movie or not.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin